Saturday, July 12, 2008

Too Many Close Calls in 24 hours

Yesterday we were walking home from the basketball courts at the end of our street and going down the driveway of the parking lot when a man driving his car started to turn into the parking lot. He was not paying attention to where he was driving and was heading straight for the boys who were running. I started yelling at the top of my lungs and the man snapped back into reality, stepped on the brakes, noticed the boys, and moved out of the way. He was a few feet away from the boys, not inches or anything, but it still scared the **** out of me. My legs were shaking and it took me a while to calm down.

Then.....Graham decided that he can climb up stairs. I was in the kitchen cleaning something I brought up from the basement and Graham was with me. He crawled out of the kitchen and I thought we was in the dining room. Next thing I know I hear Isaac say, "Yeah! Grammy, you can go up the stairs all by yourself!" I ran to the stairs by the front door and Graham had climbed all the way up the stairs to the platform between the first and second floor and was about to start crawling down the stairs into the kitchen. The stairs that lead to the kitchen are very steep and of course, he doesn't know how to go DOWN stairs yet. I had the gate up to the stairs in the kitchen so it was faster for me to run around to the other entryway to the stairs (if that makes sense). I picked him up and thanked Jesus that Isaac was right there and said something. I was so thankful that Isaac likes to celebrate Graham's accomplishments and that I got up the stairs before he plummeted down them.

Like I said, too many close calls for one day.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

oh sweet Lord, my knees are shaking with you. so glad all is well!

a couple of weeks ago, Lucy took off down a hill running at full speed, straight for a sidewalk. i thought for sure she was going to plummet head-first and crack open her skull, and i screamed, "No! Slow down! Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!" She ended up on her feet, having never fallen (bravo, Lucy), but I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I needed to sit down and take some deep breaths for a couple of minutes.

Panic is exhausting, but the nature of panic is, it can't be avoided. It hits you full force! :)

Darlene said...

I hate things like that!!!! Glad 2 know everyone is alright!!