Friday, March 16, 2007

Potty Progress!

Isaac had an accident this morning. Sigh. I had just asked him if he needed to go and he said, "Nooo". Okay, I thought I would give him 10 more minutes while I finished cleaning his bathroom. When I went back to take him he had totally peed in his jammies and underwear. So, for the next 2 hours--yes, that is 2 hours--we had a verbal discussion. All I was trying to do was get him to answer this question: "Isaac, where do we go pee-pee?". His response, which he totally knows by the way, is supposed to be, "In the potty!" but instead all he said was, "I don't want to say it.". Arrrrggghhhhhh!

I don't know how he can be so stubborn! Oh, wait--he is my child. Drat! Sorry for all the hell I put you through mom and dad!

Anyway, I was feeling totally discouraged and sad that Isaac didn't WANT to want to pee in the potty--know what I mean? His little heart was hardened and he decided in his little 2 year old mind that he didn't want to say that he knows he is to pee in the potty and not in his underwear.

But alas--this afternoon we turned a corner. We had a house showing today (woo-h00) and took the kids to the park. I was thinking as soon as we pulled in the driveway that it was time to get Isaac on the toilet so we wouldn't have another accident. We got in the house and he came out of my room holding his crotch saying, "Uh-oh, uh-oh". Jon said, "Hurry, get to the potty!" So he got to the potty and I took his pants down and he promptly sat and peed. This would be one of the first times where he took the initiative and realized--I gotta go now, help me before I have an accident. In the past couple of weeks he ran to me saying, "I gotta go potty"--but only after he already has gone everywhere.

I was so proud of him for taking the initiative. Then, a while later we were playing outside and he started looking at me grabbing his crotch again. He was telling me he needed to go. Let me tell you--one of the great things about having a boy is being able to pull their pants down outside and let them water the grass! I was so thankful for his initiative--especially since I have been praying for him about that specifically. So, thank you Lord for getting things to click in his head.

Funny story about boys vs. girls. One of my friends in the neighborhood has a little girl a few months older than Isaac. She is potty training too and is doing a great job. We play together frequently and she has seen Ewan pull his pants down and pee outside plenty of times. The other day she went outside and my friend turned around and her daughter had her pants down around her ankles. Friend asked, "what are you doing?". Her response: "I'm going pee-pee like Ewan!" Of course as a girl you have no aim outward so her pee ran all down her legs in into her pants. I get a phone call saying (jokingly yet seriously), "Um...Ewan can't pee outside in front of Melody anymore". We had a good laugh about it.

Ewan really likes peeing outside though and so does Isaac for that matter--I think it is a natural instinct or something for men/boys to enjoy "marking their territory". It will be hard to explain to him next time we are playing around our friend that he can't just pee outside whenever he pleases. I suppose he has to learn it sometime though.

If this next baby is a girl then I don't know what I am going to do! I guess I will carry around the inflatable potty wherever I go.

No comments: